New Hanover Regional Medical Center
New Hanover Regional Medical Center offers many career opportunities for those who have a passion for making a positive difference in the lives of others. As the largest healthcare provider in the region, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer employing almost 7,000 people. Where you work has a big impact on your life. It should be professionally and personally rewarding. At New Hanover Regional Medical Center, we recognize recruiting and retaining the best takes a commitment to providing benefits that support you and your family’s well-being. We offer generous health and wellness benefits as well as support for education and career advancement.
Works under the general direction of the Health Information Management Manager. Provides staff training, orienting, coaching and support and technical support for the electronic medical record. Works as a self-directed individual with Health Information knowledge and experience. Possesses excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills. Assist with the daily coordination of departmental functions. Assist with any implementation of systems, policies and procedures. Responsible for assisting with Human Resource responsibilities such as meeting with staff, time and attendance, disciplinary process and performance evaluations. Oversees the Lead HIM Clerks. Serves as a resource for Release of Information. Familiar with state and federal laws. All work is carried out in accordance with the department’s approved policies and procedures.
Primary Job Duties:
- Processes all tasks as assigned by the Health Information Management Manager.
- Participates in the creation and implementation of Policies and Procedures used in the Health Information Management Department. Participates in Lean A3 projects.
- Assists and/or trains others to locate, retrieve, prep, and scan and index requested medical records as defined by Management. Orients new employees to the department. Trains on new processes.
- Assists with Release of Information, Chart Correction, Transcription and Analysis areas.
- Ability to use and/or train others in the use of various hardware and software in the Health Information Management department.
- Ensures adequate coverage in all areas of the Health Information Management Department alerting Management of any coverage issues. Assists with any backlogs in the department.
- Completes Quality Control Audits on staff.
- Updates Dashboard daily keeping abreast of daily workflow.
- Performs monthly meetings with staff. Completes time and attendance. Performs any employee disciplinary processes at the discretion of HIM Management and Human Resource guidance.
- Uses various Medical Center hardware and software to produce reports as directed by Health Information Management Manager.
- Assists with basic care and maintenance of the workstation equipment.
- Maintains cooperative and harmonious relationships within department and other areas of contact both internal and external.
- Promotes public relations through prompt and courteous service.
- Fosters respect for patient privacy by maintaining confidentiality in all phases of work.
- Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
- Rotation of on-call weekends and holidays.
- RHIT or RHIA certification is required
- Must have a minimum of 2 years management or coordinator experience
- EMR experience is required
- Experience with Customer Service Telephone management, basic Microsoft Word Excel, PowerPoint and Vizio
- Must possess relevant experience in clerical duties sufficient for individual development to the level of independent functioning with minimal direction
- Must be available to work flexible hours and rotating on call hours
- Two years health information management experience preferred.
- EPIC Experience is a plus
Associates degree in Health Information Technology required; Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management is preferred.